The SQL Server DBA will be responsible for the implementation, configuration, maintenance, and performance of critical SQL Server RDBMS systems, to ensure the availability and consistent performance of our corporate applications. This is a “hands-on” position requiring solid technical skills, as well as excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
The successful candidate will be responsible for the development and sustainment of all elements of SQL Server, ensuring its operational readiness (security, health and performance), executing data loads, and performing data modelling in support of multiple development teams. The databases maintained support an enterprise application suite of application and management tools. Must be capable of working independently and collaboratively
The successful candidate will be responsible for the following:
- Manage SQL Server databases through multiple product lifecycle environments, from development to mission-critical production systems.
- Configure and maintain database servers and processes, including monitoring of system health and performance, to ensure high levels of performance, availability, and security.
- Apply data modelling techniques to ensure development and implementation support efforts meet integration and performance expectations
- Independently analyse, solve, and correct issues in real time, providing problem resolution end-to-end.
- Refine and automate regular processes, track issues, and document changes
- Assist developers with complex query tuning and schema refinement.
- Provide 24x7 support for critical production systems (upon request).
- Perform scheduled maintenance and support release deployment activities after hours.
- Share domain and technical expertise, providing technical mentorship and cross-training to other peers and team members.
The role is based in our Chennai office, the working hours are based on a UK working day with a rota to cover USA hours.
There will also be a requirement to participate in a call out rota, and for completing some activities outside of business hours where they may be service affecting.
Skills, Knowledge & Experience
The successful candidate will demonstrate the following experience, skills and behaviours:
- 5+ years MS SQL Server Administration experience required
- Experience with Performance Tuning and Optimization (PTO), using native monitoring and troubleshooting tools
- Experience with backups, restores and recovery models
- Knowledge of Clustering, High Availability (HA) and Disaster Recovery (DR) options for SQL Server
- Experience working with Windows server, including Active Directory
- Excellent written and verbal communication
- Flexible, team player, “get-it-done” personality
- Ability to organize and plan work independently
- Ability to work in a rapidly changing environment
- Ability to multi-task and context-switch effectively between different activities and teams
- Relevant Microsoft certifications a plus